Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Remove Keyring issue when rebooted for first time for VNC


Issue: 
I'm trying to use VNC on my headless desktop server that's running lucid, but I can only use SSH because a pop asking me to unlock the keyring shows up every time I try to use VNC. I don't have a monitor for that desktop, so I was wondering, is there any way to remove the keyring/to automatically unlock it during autologin?

Resolution:
I have found a workaround for this issue on 10.04.
Open up Applications->Accessories->Passwords and Encryption Keys
Right click Passwords:login and unlock it.
You should be able to expand the tree and find a listing for vino. Right click and delete it.
Close Passwords and Encryption Keys.
Open gconf-editor as and navigate to /desktop/gnome/remote_access
Enter in your BASE64 encoded password into the vnc_password key.
Save the config and close the editor.
Reboot and you can now use your VNC client to connect to your machine without being first prompted with the keyring.
you can generate the base64 password at the command line;
echo -n "your password" | base64

No comments:

Post a Comment